Product Review: Night of Olay Firming Cream

Skincare is a funny business. It seems that slapping one word on a box can increase the price astronomically. Take, for instance, the difference in prices between your standard facial cream and eye cream, or regular cream and night cream. In both cases, the eye and night designations = big bucks. And, forget about finding a nighttime eye cream under $50.

I've been on a search for a good night cream after using up all of some deluxe sized samples of Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Cream ($125), which is great by the way. While using it, my skin looked amazing and I do believe that it reduced the appearance of some fine laugh lines. However, check the price. Enough said.

So began the quest for a suitable replacement. I won't bore you with the details of all the failures along the way, but Night of Olay Firming Cream ($7) is a winner. It is such an unassuming product, in its spartan box without grandiose claims, one might be tempted to pass it by for something flashier. That would definitely be a mistake. Night of Olay is thick, creamy and dense, everything a night moisturizer should be. My skin has truly looked amazing since I started using it. I've even been using less foundation because there are no unsightly red areas to cover. Plus, even in the cold weather, my face is beautifully moisturized without any dry areas. And should I even mention the value?!

A fair number of folks on Total Beauty dislike the smell of the product, so I should probably mention that. It does have a strong floral fragrance that is hard to miss. But I find that once it absorbs, the smell is gone and it doesn't really bother me. Typically I don't like strong fragrances in moisturizers, but this one I can tolerate. One funny thing is that my mother used Oil of Olay when I was young, and when I opened the jar for the first time, the smell was instantly recognizable from memories of good night kisses. So that's kind of sweet and probably why I find it less offensive than others do.

At any rate, I still can't get over the price:quality ratio on this product. One concern is that, although it is 100% oil-free and non-comedogenic, it may be too thick for those prone to oily skin and breakouts. I would encourage you to try it, though, just get it from a drugstore that accepts returns and keep your receipt. But, I'll bet that you'll be pleasantly surprised.

 

4 comments:

Im said...

While beauty labels might claim to be non-comedogenic, it's not always true. I took a look at the ingredients for the Night of Olay Firming Creme and found isopropyl palmitate (rated a 4/5 for causing acne) and dimethicone (a silicone derivative known to cause breakouts). They are listed closer to the beginning in the ingredients label, so that means there is a fair amount of both substances in the product.

I would definitely advise against using it for the seriously acne prone, unless you try spot treatments first!
Thank you for the post, Kyl. I'll check it out.

January 10, 2009 at 11:46 AM
C said...

Yes, my mom used Oil of Olay too. I can relate to your 'scent memory'. They were nice memories no? Hope to find this version of Olay in my country. Thanks for the recommendation!

January 11, 2009 at 6:21 AM
Kyl said...

lm:

I totally agree with you that the "non-comedogenic" is often a dubious claim. Luckily I haven't had any breakouts, but I'm not terribly acne-prone. Thanks for the info on the ingredients, I'll keep that in mind!

Kyl
January 11, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Kyl said...

C:

Thanks for your comment! Good luck tracking some down and let me know how you like it.

Kyl
January 11, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels