Overrated!

I've been trying to think of something to write about that wouldn't take up too much time tonight. Since it takes me sweet forever to deal with the digital photo software on my dinosaur of a computer, I can't turn out as many photo essays as I'd like. Don't despair, however, because a new computer may be in the works...

In the meantime, I realized that I have not yet posted a rant about a product that I find to be unhelpful, overrated, expensive, and maybe even detrimental. Here it is:



Fresh Sugar Lip Balm, SPF 15


I hate this stuff. My story with it is one of interest, desire, longing, attainment, disillusionment, frustration and ultimate rejection. Does that sum it up? I was interested initially because it has a lemony flavor/scent and I love all things lemon. Fresh Sugar Lip Balm is supposed to be an excellent lip balm, but I didn't try it for a long time because, boy, it is expensive. It is $22.50 to be exact, no matter where you buy it. I resisted for a long time because of the price and I can't recall what ultimately made me go for it. I think it was around Christmas-time and I just threw it in the basket as a little gift for myself while I was shopping for others. What's another $22.50 when you're in the seasonal spending mode?

The company claims that it has some unique blend of something-or-other (essential plumping fatty acids, grapeseed polyphenols, vitamins A, C, and E) that make it nourishing to the lips and provide SPF protection (always a good thing). To be fair, I have extremely chapped and dry lips. Always. No matter what. I don't understand it, it confuses me, but there it is. So, needless to say, I'm always on the lookout for a holy grail lip balm that will solve all my chapped lip problems.

This is not it. If nothing else, I do love the scent. It smells good. I think the package is a little strange: it is metal (maybe aluminum?). As a result, it feels very hefty in your hand, so you feel like you really got something for the $22.50. I used it sporadically at first and didn't notice any improvement in my perma-chapped lips. So, I decided to really put it to the test and I started slapping it on at every opportunity. No kidding, I probably applied it 3-4 times daily for about 2 weeks. The result? Nothing. No improvement at all. And, I actually think that it is a little drying. It made my lips worse, if that is even possible. And I just can't tolerate that.

So, that's my story with the Fresh Sugar Lip Balm.

It shows up on "best of" lists all the time and I just don't get it. I still have some left over and I keep it in my car for emergencies when I'm without other, better, lip balms. Be warned, however, if you ever decide to try it for yourself: it melts...easily.

 

2 comments:

snb-the glamourista said...

booo! i hate when i feel like i've wasted my money. it chaps (pardon the expression) my a double snakes.

April 18, 2008 at 3:53 AM
Ladybug said...

OMG! I had the same reaction! I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't feeling this stuff.

April 28, 2008 at 5:19 AM

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels