5 Minute Cuticle Care

A salon manicure can be a fun, pampering experience. Unfortunately, it also takes time and money. Thankfully, there are many, many products available for the at-home DIY manicurist.

Here are a few of my favorites:

True Blue Spa Disappearing Act Instant Cuticle Remover literally works in seconds to remove rough, ragged cuticles with minimal effort. I find the applicator tip fairly awkward and prefer the tried-and-true orange stick. There really is no substitute for a good cuticle remover. It is an essential part of any manicure and there are many drugstore and high end brands to choose from. I just happen to like this one.

You could stop there, but if you have one more minute to devote to your hands and nails today, then by all means get yourself some of this: True Blue Spa Just A Minute 60-Second Manicure Scrub. This product is a bright orange, citrus-smelling, sugar-based exfoliating scrub. It only takes a minute to plop some on your hands and then rub rub rub all over, concentrating on your cuticles and nails. It also contains shea butter for additional moisturizing. Your skin will be soft and smooth and your tips clean and beautiful! You could even skip the cuticle remover and just use this alone. I've done that and it works well.

Both True Blue products can be found at Bath & Body Works Stores or Online. [Note: they are on sale right now for Buy 2, Get 1 Free.]
For every day prevention of dry cuticles and hangnails, I start with Lippmann Collection Cuticle Treatment (a.k.a. cuticle oil). It contains jojoba and coconut oils. I use this religiously every night and have noticed a big improvement in number of hangnails. It is a bit pricey, but a little goes a long way. My only major complaint is that the brush doesn't reach all the way down to the bottom of the bottle so can be difficult to get every last drop.
A normal person might stop there and just go to sleep, but I finish by applying a healthy dollop of cult-fav Lush Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter. We know how much I love all things lemon, so this one is a no-brainer. It is a very thick, very moisturizing butter and I smear it on my hands and elbows. That way I can enjoy the lemon scent as I drift off to sleep while the cream moisturizes all night long.

So there you have it. Using all four products in succession, I estimate would take 5-6 minutes. You could then finish off the manicure by shaping the nail with a file and then applying polish. Or, you can skip the polish and get on the rest of your life. Either way, doesn't it feel good to show your hands some love? I think they deserve it.

 

4 comments:

snb-the glamourista said...

also i really like solar oil..great to moisturize cuticles and smells amazing. you tried it?

June 1, 2008 at 12:02 PM
Misti said...

I love this simple routine; thanks for sharing!

June 2, 2008 at 8:28 AM
Kyl said...

glamourista:
I have used solar oil and it does smell AMAZING. I think it might be a tad cheaper than Lippmann as well.
June 2, 2008 at 7:18 PM

Kyl said...

misti:
thanks for reading! let us know if you try any of those and how you liked them!
June 2, 2008 at 7:19 PM

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels