F.O.T.D. Inspired by Sephora's Miss August

On the off-chance that you are not makeup obsessed and for some reason are still reading my blog (Hi Mom!), you probably missed the most recent Sephora catalog which featured a pin-up/calendar girl theme. Very cute.

This is "Miss August." You can see the details of her look
here. While each individual feature (eyes, cheeks, lips) are beautifully applied and flawlessly air-brushed, I can't help but feel that the overall look is just too...too...much. The eyes, the brows, the bright red lips, the severe haircut, everything is just over the top. The result is a bit too clownish for my tastes.


So I decided to re-work her look into something more balanced and less cartoony. I chose to copy her smokey eye with a copper shadow and a bold turquoise liner but keep the rest of the features more neutral and balanced.

I started by placing Urban Decay Eyeshadow in Blaze over the lid up to and above the crease and also along the lower lash line. I then blended the dark brown shade from the Sally Hansen Natural Beauty Palette I reviewed earlier into the outer 1/3 of each eye near the crease.

A subtle wash of Stila Eyeshadow in Kitten was added to the brow bone and inner corner of the eye. Sephora Brand Electro Eyepencil in Marine Blue 06 was applied very close to the upper lashline and along the bottom waterline. Lastly,one coat of Cover Girl Lash Blash mascara in Black was added.

Some pics of the final result. [Note: please excuse the brows, they are a work in progress.]

without flash

with flash
Unlike Miss August, I kept the rest of the look simple with Bare Escentuals Pure Radiance used as blush/bronzer. On my lips are NARS lipstick in Honolulu Honey and lip lacquer in Chelsea Girls.



The finished result. Definitely different from Miss August and ultimately more wearable for me. I guess the take-home message is to not be afraid to experiment with different looks that you find in magazines or online. You don't have to follow every detail, but use it as a starting point or inspiration and make it your own!

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels