Way Better Than Work: Olympus Korean Spa

I'm on vacation this week. Yay! Forgoing travel in the interest of saving money, I decided that my vacation would be a week at home to do whatever I want.

The first item on the agenda was to acquire a massage. And, since this was my vacation, I wanted to be a little more adventurous and check out some place new, different, exciting. Olympus Spa was just waiting to be discovered.

This was a good choice because the aptly-named Olympus is amazing. Seriously, I think I'm a changed woman. There are so many things to explore: the hydrotherapy bath area, the "earth energy" heated rooms, a tea room, and a Korean restaurant. The basic daily rate for the spa is $35 and that gets you access to the baths, saunas, and heated rooms. Additional services cost additional money. I chose the Refresh Package which includes use of the facilities, Body Scrub, and Body Massage.

Oh, and I should probably tell you now, the spa is women-only (customers and staff) and it is nude.

But don't get freaked! The naked thing is not a big deal. I am far from a beach-body and I felt completely comfortable walking around in only my little hair bonnet. It turns out that nobody else has a beach-body either, which is a nice reality check. In the heated rooms area and the restaurant, you wear spa-issued robes (suspiciously similar to hospital robes).

OK, so let me get to the amazing services. You arrive an hour before your appointment for a quick shower and long soak. After softening up in the pools and saunas for at least 30 minutes, it is time for the Body Scrub. This starts out with you laying on your front, then one side, then the other side, and lastly on your back. They don't use salt or sugar scrub products, just soap and mittens the texture of the rough side of a kitchen sponge.

And, boy, do they scrub....thoroughly. They scrub areas that you would never even think about scrubbing (behind ears or under arms) or would even be able to reach. The scrubbing alternates with rinses of warm, warm water. I laid there like a baby thinking that I probably haven't had someone give me a bath since I was, well... a baby. After 35-40 minutes of continuous scrubbing (including a final gentle facial scrub), there is an all-over wash with soap and a final hot rinse. The baby analogy is actually fitting because my skin is now baby-soft. Everywhere. Soft as a baby's bottom [the gold standard for soft skin].

Since this post is already long, I'm going to leave you hanging, desperately wanting to hear more about the rest of my day at the spa. Because there is more. Much, much more...

 

1 comments:

Misti said...

ACK! You totally left me jonesing for more!!

May 28, 2008 at 8:53 AM

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels