Words of Wisdom: K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Dick Page (professional makeup artist at work on the right) authored a one-page article in the June 2008 issue of Allure entitled "Simply Done" that I thought was fantastic and wanted to share with you.

It outlined Dick's "general guidelines on the [makeup] pitfalls to look out for" all under the guise of keeping your makeup simple and fresh. This really resonated with me as we move into the warm weather season (finally!). Who wants to spend precious time on a look that will quickly run off your face in the heat? Not
moi. So here's what he has to say:

blush.
"Blush is supposed to be just that -- something that makes you look pretty and fresh, like you've been out in the cold or have a healthy flush in your cheeks. Once people get into stripes, hollows, or contouring, it can all fall apart. My trick for blush is to apply it before anything else -- a dab on the pillows of your cheeks. I bet you'll be surprised to see how using blush alone brightens your eyes and face. A lot of the time, it's best to leave your makeup at that."

I tried this out for myself and will confirm that he is right! Pink blush + one coat of mascara + gloss = perfect 5 minute face.

eyeliner.
"It's called eyeliner, not lid liner. It's meant to go as close to the eyes as possible, not on the lids. People tend to think you draw the pencil from the inside corner out in one straight line --not so. The better technique is to draw at the roots of the lashes from the outside in, using small hatches, not one continuous line. Then connect the hatch marks and make sure you don't see any skin between the liner and the lashes."

You know exactly what he means by lid liner, no? I do, and I don't like it. Unless you are going for a distinct cat-eye or Amy Winehouse type look [not recommended except for Halloween purposes], eyeliner should be subtle and give the illusion of thicker eyelashes, not draw a harsh boundary around your peepers making them appear smaller than they are. Example: this vs. this.

lips.
"The lip gloss thing went as far as it rationally could before it started to look like people were drooling [beauty couch *coughs loudly* MAC Dazzleglass]. Somewhere along the line, people got scared of lipstick...Apply a neutral shade of lipstick with an eye shadow brush, then blot the color with a tissue and run over the edges with a cotton swab. Using this technique makes the lipstick softer, more natural, and I think, more flattering."

Personally, I find lipstick to be more glamorous than gloss so I hope that it makes a comeback. To ease your re-entry into the land of lipstick, try: MAC Lipstick in High Tea and Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Nude Velvet.

essentials.
Lastly, Dick provides the following closing words. "Skip the product arsenal. If you're reaching for eye-shadow base, eye shadow, liner, brow filler, and thickening and lengthening mascaras, it's too much. Nor do you need tinted moisturizer, foundation, blush, concealer, and powder. Leave some air in there and limit yourself to the one or two (OK, maybe three) products you need on each feature. The point is to enhance, not hide, yourself."

*hangs head in shame.* I admit, I am guilty of the product arsenal. And, I do think that it does have its place for special events, like your wedding. But, for every day looks, Dick is right: K.I.S.S.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels