Friends & Family Friday

It seems that my friends & family, whether they knew it or not, picked out some major cult favs for their 'best-of' lists. My next suggestion comes from BFF Marisa in San Francisco: Clinique's Almost Lipstick in Black Honey. Marisa is a cosmetics junkie so I had a lot of faith in this being a solid rec.

Here's what she had to say: "Weirdly enough, I actually dislike honey. And yet, my two favorite lipsticks are both named after honey. The Clinique lipstick is a medium purple hue, looks great on brunettes and, I imagine, could complement most skin colors." She also loves the "light creamy" consistency and the smooth application. It is not a long-lasting preparation and is unlikely to last "through coffee and lip licking and a full meal" but is a winner nonetheless.

When you first open the tube and look at Black Honey, it is shockingly, goth-like dark. I wore a lipstick that color in high school and recall my mother telling me that I looked dead. But, the application color is a plum-berry sheer (see above). It is so sheer, in fact, that it looks like a lip stain to me. The nice thing about the 'almost lipstick' formulation is that you don't have to be so precise in application. It is more forgiving than a true lipstick if you happen to color outside the lines.

I started looking around on the web to see what other people have had to say about Black Honey and I was surprised to find that people love this stuff. One woman was even complaining about how the Clinique counter nearest her never has it in stock because it sells out so quickly. Who knew?

 

4 comments:

Misti said...

Oh GIRL! Black Honey has been the 'go to' color for women (now) in their mid to late twenties since '96 or so!!

I've had a tube of this color since sophmore year of High School! It doesn't come out very often, but it is a fail-safe.

No one should be without this color!!

July 7, 2008 at 6:58 AM
Kyl said...

Apparently everyone knew about this color but me! That's OK because I have two tubes of it now!
July 8, 2008 at 9:07 PM

snb-the glamourista said...

agreed that black honey should be in every bag. it's so versatile! i didn't know about it either, until it came with a GWP with some clinique skincare i bought and i've been a fan every since!

July 10, 2008 at 12:07 PM
Kyl said...

sephora was hawking a black honey giftset a few months ago but I didn't get a chance to see it before it sold out. isn't that always the case?
July 10, 2008 at 11:02 PM

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels