Physicians Formula Organic Wear Tinted Moisturizer Inspired Rant

I've been using Physicians Formula 100% Natural Origin Tinted Moisturizer (SPF 15) for a while now and, I have to say, I have something of a love-hate relationship with it. We'll get to the love part later. First of all, enough already with the freakin' "natural" this and "organic" that.

They are quite proud of themselves for making a product is 100% free of harsh chemicals, synthetic preservatives, parabens, GMOs, synthetic colors, and synthetic fragrances. And, you know, that's fine. But, just calm down a little. I counted the word "natural" used
over 10 times on the paper packaging for this stuff. 10 times!

And, never mind the fact that you are
never going to convince me that rubbing a carefully formulated chemical solution (no matter how "organic") on your face is a "natural" thing to do. If I wanted to be "natural," I wouldn't wear makeup at all! And what kind of fun would that be?

So let's just agree to get off the natural/organic high-horse and be real with ourselves. No matter how "natural and organic" Physicians Formula claims to be, they are still in the business of selling products that exploit our vain desire to look good, which does not mean looking like my natural, blotchy, greasy,"organically" tired self.


Ok, rant over.

I actually do like this product and I think that it is a good value. If rolling in dough, I would prefer to use Stila Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer (SPF 15) which sells for $32. But as a penny-pinching alternative, the PF Organic Wear is around $10 and you can often find coupons or drugstore specials that knock the price down even more.

The consistency of the PF Organic Wear is on the thin side, but it applies evenly and (Iove this!) absorbs fast, leaving you with a glowing, summer complexion. The coverage is sheer, so if you have more persistent acne or rosacea, then you might need to combine it with some additional concealer. It comes in 4 shades to match a range of skin tones.

My big complaint: the smell. I can't identify it, but whatever this "natural" fragrance is, it really grosses me out. I seriously dread getting a whiff of this stuff when I open the tube. Plenty of other "organic" products have managed to not smell disgusting (the yummy-smelling Korres line comes to mind) so that's no excuse. My other complaint: only SPF 15. The days of SPF 15 being sufficient are over. Many higher end brands are addressing this (Stila offers a tinted moisturizer with SPF 30, for example), but the drugstore names need to catch up.

So anyway, if you can stand the smell, this is a solid drug store product at a very attractive price. And if you are a sucker for things labeled "natural" and "organic," then this baby is for you!

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels