Wedding Makeup Tips

As I'm sure she would attest, I've been a little bit obsessed with my future sister-in-law's wedding makeup look. Partly, this is because it gives me an excuse to haul under the pretense that I'm helping her with "research." I barely even remember what makeup I wore to my wedding, so it also provides the opportunity to vicariously experience the wedding makeup routine again .

In the interest of saving time & money, I did my wedding makeup myself (with the invaluable assistance of BFF/maid of honor, Marisa). If it weren't for her I would never have gotten those false eyelashes on. But, I did ask various members of the wedding-industrial complex for advice on achieving an awesome wedding look. So here are the best tidbits that I picked up along the way, straight from me to you...


1. False Eyelashes. The best advice I got was from the photographer who recommended false eyelashes. She said that they are really important to open up the eyes in pictures. Having never used them before, I got cheap little
Sephora-brand partial lashes ($8) and placed the partial lashes on the outer eye. It really made a big difference. Thank you, Deborah!

2.
Go For Drama. My hairdresser told me to "go dramatic" in doing the eye makeup. Her exact words were "if it looks like too much in the mirror at home, then it's perfect." For an evening wedding, the light is going to be much lower so more drama is needed to get even a natural look. I remember Marisa and I just applying and blending every brown eyeshadow we own saying "is that enough? is this enough?" It was probably quite humorous.

3.
Avoid Lackluster Lips. My only regret is that I didn't wear a lip stain or a more intense lip color. A natural look seems like a good way to go generally, but with this there is a risk of looking washed out in the pics. Again, you want to strike that balance between enough drama to be noticeable and not so much as to look clownish. A mistake I made was using a pale lip color and in a lot of the pictures, my lips are kind of pale and could have used a little punching-up. Even if I had kept some gloss handy (which I didn't), it would have been better.

4. Waterproof Mascara. This is kind of a "duh" but I figured I'd mention it anyway. Seriously, I thought I'd be the last person to cry during the ceremony, but...you can guess what happened.
Bare Escentuals Weather Everything Waterproof Mascara thankfully did not run.

5. Judicious Use Of Shimmer. Initially the plan was to use a little Benefit Kitten powder on my shoulders until the wedding planner intervened. She didn't have an objection to shimmer per se but she had experiences of having to "spray down brides" who had gone a little crazy with the shimmer powder. Ultimately, she let me get away with a little bit of Benefit High Beam on the cheek bones and on the clavicle which added a subtle, appropriate amount of highlight.


And, just to show that these tips worked well (and not at all because I'm vain and want to show off my wedding pictures), here is the evidence.




 

2 comments:

snb-the glamourista said...

you look stunning! thanks for sharing these!!

August 30, 2008 at 8:56 PM
Kyl said...

Thank you!!! I have such nice memories when I look at them, I'm happy to share.
September 2, 2008 at 12:24 PM

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels