Fat Talk Free Week

Never having been a member of a sorority, I can't with any authority talk about their virtues or vices. However, I admit to having a fairly low opinion of the force they play in young women's lives. But, it appears that they have done at least one thing I can get behind. The Tri Delta sorority and the Academy of Eating Disorders a few years back began to develop an innovative program for eating disorder prevention. Their program (called Reflections) is based on supplanting the "thin ideal" with a "healthy ideal" and recognizing that this is unique to each woman by focusing on health rather than weight. Now having published positive results in several peer-reviewed journals they are taking the program nationwide in the first Fat Talk Free Week.

Not sure what they mean by Fat Talk? I'm sure you'll recognize it in the video below.



Even if you are safely past college or sorority years, we all know that these issues extend far beyond campus life and into adulthood: wedding, pre-baby, post-baby, and even into menopause. It's pretty depressing to think about carrying around all that self-hatred for so many years. If you agree, consider challenging yourself to no Fat Talk for one week and see how it makes you feel. Here are some other ideas from Reflections:

  1. Choose one friend or family member and discuss one thing you like about yourselves.
  2. Keep a journal of all the good things your body allows you to do (e.g., sleep well and wake up rested, play tennis, etc.).
  3. Pick one friend to make a pact with to avoid negative body talk. When you catch your friend talking negatively about their body, remind them of the pact.
  4. Make a pledge to end complaints about your body, such as “I’m so flat-chested” or “I hate my legs.” When you catch yourself doing this, make a correction by saying something positive about that body part, such as, “I’m so glad my legs got me through soccer practice today”.
  5. The next time someone gives you a compliment, rather than objecting (“No, I’m so fat”), practice taking a deep breath and saying “thank you.”

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels

Archives