When High ≠ Low

Usually I feel pretty strongly that quality makeup can be found at drugstore prices, but sadly there are times when it just isn't true. This is one of those times...

A while back, I tried out Benefit's BAD Gal mascara in Plum ($19). While not immediately obvious, the slight purple tinge that it added to my lashes was unlike anything I'd ever tried before and I was in love. Unfortunately, when it comes to mascara I have some kind of a mental (or wallet) block. In my humble opinion, spending more than $10 for a mascara is outrageous. I just can't do it.

So anyway, after sampling BAD Gal in plum, I wanted it really badly. Almost $19 worth of badly, but not quite. Thus, I began a quest for a drugstore equivalent at a more reasonable cost. I searched high and low, in stores and online, until I found one (and only one): L'Oreal Panoramic Curl in Plum ($9). I grabbed the last one on the shelf and excitedly took it home.

And then the disappointment began. I wish I could tell you that L'Oreal Panoramic is as good or better than Benefit BAD Gal, but I just can't. The plum color was alright enough for a substitute, but it didn't quite have the pop that the Benefit did. OK, maybe it wouldn't be an exact duplicate, but for half the price it would do.

That was until the real problems began. It turns out that the Panoramic formula is an f'ing flaky mess! Only a few hours of wear and there were flakes all over my eye area -- unattractive at the very least. Even worse, some landed in my eye causing pain and distress, not to mention opening the door to annoying, self-righteous comments from my husband about how I wouldn't have problems if I didn't wear chemicals on my eyes. Hmmmmph! Thank you, L'Oreal.

Determined to make it work, I continued to use it every day for almost a week before deciding I'd had enough and it was headed for the trash can. Unfortunately, I threw away the receipt or that baby would be on its way back to Bartell's toute de suite.

So until I get over my $10 mascara limit, no purple mascara for me. Somehow I think I'll survive, but if any cosmetics execs are reading my lowly blog (particularly if you make Cover Girl Lash Blast), please please please make a formulation in plum. I'd definitely buy it.

 

2 comments:

oldergirlbeauty said...

Have you tried the Raisin Quartz color from Almay?
I know I used to use a Black Plum by Almay in a shimmer purple tube, but haven't seen that in ages.

October 21, 2008 at 9:49 AM
Kyl said...

No, I haven't but I'll keep my eyes out for it! Thanks for the tip!
October 24, 2008 at 2:47 PM

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels

Archives