Vintage Makeup Looks

Clearly I'm not the only one with a soft spot for vintage makeup packaging, but vintage makeup looks are always hot. It seems as if the more things change in entertainment, the more they stay the same. Witness the gushing over the beautiful ladies of AMC's Mad Men. Admittedly, I've never seen an episode and have only a vague idea of what it's about, but after seeing stills from the show, I agree that the 1960s era hair, makeup and fashion is incredible. Exhibit A: the stunning Christina Hendricks as Joan Holloway. Wow.

Read about the inspiration for the makeup seen on Mad Men here. Find your own inspiration from a collection of vintage ads here.

Interested in how to infuse your own look with a little vintage flair? Look no further than The 20-to-40-Style Makeup Guide or Miss-Vintage.com*. I particularly love the Icons of Style section, where you can find excruciating details about the makeup, hair and beauty habits more than 30 classic startlets like Marilyn Monroe (of course), Elizabeth Taylor (love her!), and Sophia Loren (my husband's favorite). Anyway, I've been obsessed with that site since stumbling on it and figured I would pass it on...
[*Update: The Miss-Vintage has unfortunately been taken down, so none of those links will work, sadly.]

Check out Vintage Hairstyling for some hints on retro styles. Be sure to visit their link list for other resources.

Lastly, it's no secret that some modern stars like Gwen Stefani and Dita Von Teese have made a career of showcasing their retro-glam makeup looks. Click here for a how-to of a 1940s Dita-approved look.  Here is a fun tutorial of a Gwen-inspired classic red lip with dramatic liquid eye liner. Enjoy!

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels