DIY Tinted Moisturizer

Continuing along the frugal theme, today's post is about making lemonade out of lemons. Or, alternatively, making a better product out of a mediocre ones. Jergens Natural Glow Face Daily Facial Moisturizer with SPF 20 ($8) is part of Jergens popular Natural Glow line of moisturizers with built-in self tanner. These products are well regarded as providing a subtle, slowly-developing tan ("glow") that adds just the right amount of skin-enhancing color without screaming "Hey Guys! Look who used a self tanner last night!" They are quite economical and are regularly featured in many "best of" lists.

I decided to give the Face formulation a try. Unfortunately, this product was very disappointing. First, it doesn't provide any kind of immediate tint as far as I can tell. So if you are looking for a little bit of color to even your complexion, look elsewhere. Second, even after weeks of use, I have yet to see any discernible color develop. It doesn't have the problems of the Physicians Formula tinted moisturizer, that being mostly the horrid scent, but at least that one lived up to its tinting duties. This one is just lame in the color category. But since I'm trying to be budget conscious, I continue to use it.

This brings us to the second problematic product of the day: Murad Firming Bronzer for Face and Body ($50). A small sample bottle of this product has been kicking around for a while now and has not managed to elevate itself to regular usage. This is because it has the opposite problem of the Jergens: it has a ton of tint that is apparent immediately at application. This can be a nice thing if, for example, you late getting ready for a big evening and just realized how ghastly white your legs look. But, using it undiluted on the face is too intense for me. I tried this once, only to have someone exclaim "Wow! You got a lot of sun this weekend!" Yeah, not so subtle.

So while neither of these products hit the mark, all is not lost. The Jergens doesn't provide any color, but it is a fairly decent daily moisturizer. Once I happened upon the inspired idea to add a touch of the Murad Bronzer to a daily dollop of the Jergens, a beautiful temporary tint was achieved. I simply mix the two in my hand before smoothing evenly over face and neck. Because I mix it myself, I have the satisfaction of titrating the color level to whatever I desire. If I'm wanting to up the bronze look for a day, I add a bit more Murad. If I'm in a pale-ish mood, I add only the smallest amount. It also satisfies my need to be in complete control.

It's not rocket science and the idea of mixing two things together isn't that astounding. But it serves as a reminder not to throw out unloved products before giving them a chance to win your regard with a little tweaking here and there.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels