SeSDERMA Natura Protective Lipstick

SeSDERMA laboratories is a specialty brand of skin care products produced in Spain. For the last 20 years, they have been in the business of creating innovative and effective products for a wide array of dermatological problems. Their claim to fame is being one of the first beauty companies to implement the use of alpha- and beta-hydroxy acids in skin care products. Given that these gentle acids are fairly standard in many products these days, that is no small accomplishment.

At this moment, SeSDERMA's products are only available in a select few spas, beauty salons, ascetic clinics and dermatologists in the U.S. I recently had the chance to try SeSDERMA Natura Protective Lipstick with SPF 15 ($25). Without a doubt, this is probably the most luxurious lip balm I've ever tried. When applied, it has a very satisfying creamy feel. Due to its thick, intense moisturizing properties, I've had good luck using it prior to sleeping. That way, it hangs around to provide hydration to my parched lips all night long. The formula contains several soothing ingredients like aloe vera and vitamin E that help with this. I also appreciate that it is not fragranced.

My only significant concern is not related to the product itself but rather the marketing; while it comes under SeSDERMA's Natura line of products, it isn't clear to me what differentiates Natura from the regular line. The packaging seems to suggest a more "natural" approach, but I couldn't find any documentation about that on their website. Additionally, the ingredient list includes some things that true natural/organic cosmetic purists might find objectionable -- namely, petrolatum is the first ingredient and ethylparaben is near the end. Granted, you have to make up your own mind on the issue of parabens and their questionable association with cancer. It doesn't bother me much, but I do know folks who are pretty anti. Others object to the use of petroleum products given its the association with the oil drilling industry.

Overall, I do really like this balm and find it to be very effective. If you don't mind the price, it is well worth your time -- especially if dry lips are a persistent problem. At the moment, the easiest way to try out SeSDERMA for yourself is via their website. There is free shipping to the continental U.S. which is always nice.

As a side note,
The Beauty Brains has a good discussion of the many problems with "natural" marketing with which I tend to agree.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels

Archives