Happy Skin Cancer Awareness Month!

It is May 1st (at least for a little while longer), which means it is Skin Cancer Awareness Month. Skin cancer is actually the most common form of cancer in the U.S. One in five Americans will have it at some point in their lives. Yikes. The much-quoted "fact" that we get 80% sun exposure before the age of 18 is false. In fact, only about 23% of lifetime exposure occurs by age 18, so you still need to protect yourself from the other 77%!

Thankfully, for the beauty-obsessed-shopping types, the Skin Cancer Foundation has teamed up with Sephora and Allure to offer a chance to try out some great skin protective products while donating to the SCF.

Last year I gushed about the Sephora Sun Safety Box ($23) and my frustrations (but ultimate success) in obtaining one. Well, if you didn't get one last year, you are in luck because they are reissuing it again with thirteen sample-sized skin-protecting products from some of Sephora's top brands -- Murad, DDF, Ole Henricksen, Clarins, Bare Escentuals, Anthony Logistics, need I say more? Even better, this year the kit is a bit cheaper plus it comes with a travel-friendly expandable tote bag made from recycled plastic. And don't forget that 100% of the profits go directly to SCF! I must say that I truly enjoyed my Sun Safety Kit from last year so I am seriously tempted to pick another one up. The little bottles are perfect for travel or touch ups during the day.

Alternatively, check out Allure magazine's Play Safe in the Sun Beauty Box ($40). They are offering a similar collection with brands like Anastasia, Jane Iredale, Aveeno, Burt's Bees and John Frieda. The Beauty Box contains full-sized products and is reportedly valued to be worth $150. They don't show any pictures of it, but it sounds pretty cool. Unfortunately, only $5 is donated to the SCF. That seems a little cheap, doesn't it?

Anyway, no matter if either the Sun Safety Kit or the Beauty Box look appealing, the important thing is to protect yourself whenever you are exposed to the sun -- this includes driving in the car to work or exercising outdoors. An ounce of prevention and all that.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels

Archives