L'Oreal HiP High Intensity Pigments Kohl Eyeliner

The L'Oreal HiP line features products for eyes, lips and cheeks in bright, show-stopping colors. Often favorably compared with higher end products, these products offer the opportunity to try out new, exciting shades without breaking the bank (always appreciated).

Recently I tried out Navy and Gold from the HiP Kohl Eyeliner ($13) series. First off, it is important to note that these are loose powder eye liners applied with a very fine, slightly flexible tip and they are perfect to create a smokey, smudgy effect.

In terms of shades, they live up to the HiP high intensity pigment standard as the colors are vivid and beautifully shimmery. The Gold is definitely high-impact and it would look quite beautiful with a summer tan or to really show off blue eyes. Due to my issues with the applicator (more on that later), I often ended up smudging it all over the eyelid for a gorgeous wash of color. The Navy shade is very dark, almost near black -- so much so that I thought it was black until I read the label. It also has a shimmer quality, but it is not so overdone to prohibit a work look.

There were some frustrations in the application of these powders. A fine, tapered wand is attached to the cap and serves as an awkward, unwieldy applicator. I found it to be difficult to control, mostly due to the bulky cap and poor grip. But beyond that, my larger complaint is that the fallout from this product is ridiculous. Even after blowing, knocking, tapping excess from the applicator, I would inevitably end up with navy or gold dust sprinkled essentially all over my face, necessitating a re-do of any already-perfected foundation. If I could remember to do my eyes first, the clean up wasn't such a big deal, although annoying. Both colors are equally susceptible to the fallout problem, but the navy is definitely more noticeable spattered all over the face.

Once that obstacle was tackled, the final result on the eye was actually quite pretty. And I was darn impressed with the wear the product has. On me, it definitely had more staying-power than most of the eyeliners already in my collection. It would get a little more smudgy as the day wore on, but it did not disappear or disintegrate like many cheaper eyeliners do. All in all, the L'Oreal HiP High Intensity Pigments Kohl Eyeliner is ideal if you love a sexy, slightly iridescent smokey eye. If they could figure out a way to make the application easier and do something about the fallout, this would be a damn near perfect eyeliner.

 

3 comments:

Kyl said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
June 22, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Mary Sue said...

I understand completely w/ the fallout problem!
i use a cheap m primer on my lids and it helps it really stick!
But it may work evern better with an actual eyeshadow primer!
Mine is Actually meant just for foundation but i found results in an easier & cheaper way!
The Primer i use is:
Rimmel London-Fix & Perfect Foundation Primer
I found it at CVS so u could probably find it anywhere!

I hope it works out for u also!

July 1, 2009 at 10:49 AM
Kyl said...

Hi Mary Sue:

Thanks for the comment. I didn't say anything about it in the post, but I wear eyeshadow primer about 90% of the time, usually the urban decay primer potion. It helps the eyeshadow last, but doesn't do much for the fallout unfortunately. I'll have to check out that Rimmel, though. I've been meaning to check out some of their face makeup.
July 1, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels