Hot Deals & Allure's Top Picks at Ulta

This month's issue of Allure contained an interesting story, entitled Beauty's Big Secret, that examined the striking similarity between expensive high-end products and their generic knock offs. Thankfully, in these penny-pinching times, some of those less glamorous products are just as good as their designer counterparts at a fraction of the cost. The article also featured lists of the best store-brand products from some popular beauty retailers like Ulta, Walgreens, CVS, Target and others.

I bring it up because Ulta-brand cosmetics are on massive sale right now. I got a super fun, shimmery nude nail polish (Gentle Ginger) for $2! Behold!

The Allure article on generic cosmetics was really cool and it's too bad that it isn't available on the sucky Allure website. They should really do articles like that more often. But to help you make the most of the Ulta sale, here is a re-created list of Allure's top picks from the beauty outlet's house brand (all prices are pre-sale).

Ulta Cheek Color ($7): "Every shade in this range works, " says makeup artist Troy Surratt. "None of them are too bold -- it's a goof-proof assortment."

Ulta Eye Shadow in Sandstone ($7): Makeup artist Surratt reports "All of the shadows have a silky texture and blend beautifully, but Sandstone just looks great on everybody."

Ulta Illuminating Foundation ($13): "This oil-free formulation gives just enough coverage to even out the skin while still hydrating," says Surratt.

Ulta Daily Moisturizer Face Glow ($7): "This lotion feels lightweight, has a pleasant fragrance and gives a subtle bronzing effect that can be intensified over several days of use," says cosmetic chemist Jim Hammer.

Ulta Color Restoring Glaze ($10): "This deposits just enough dye to intensify your hair color, then coats the strands with silicone to add shine and seal the cuticle," says Hammer. The colored versions will make hair brighter while the clear one adds shine.

So, what do you think? Do you have any favorite off-label products you would recommend? Do tell!

 

3 comments:

hervanity said...

I read that article too!

anyways a generic store brand I've been using is Trader Joe's brand. I tried the Tea Tree Body Wash and the exfoliator (which smells sooo yummy!)

July 20, 2009 at 7:35 PM
Kyl said...

Is it this exfoliator? Because I love it, too! Yay for TJs!
July 20, 2009 at 8:14 PM

hervanity said...

the tea tree body wash isn't the exfoliator sorry about that. I just forgot the name of the exfoliator.

But they do have an exfoliator in a tub it's Grapefruit and Chamomile Salt Scrub--compare that to Fresh Sugar Body scrub which smell very similar. They also have a sugar too and it's Tangerine scented which I haven't tried yet.

July 25, 2009 at 1:31 AM

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels

Archives