Review: Chapstick True Shimmer

Everyone knows ChapStick, so much so that is has kind of become synonymous with lip balm, no? Much like "cotton swabs" are called "Qtips" even when they are generic, people talk about "ChapStick" even if they aren't using a product from the brand itself. Certainly, the brand does not hurt for recognition.

But, not content to rest on their laurels, ChapStick has a new addition to their family. When I first saw ads for the ChapStick True Shimmers ($3) a few months ago, I could not wait to try them, so I was super psyched when I got the opportunity. If you haven't heard of them yet, much as the name would suggest, the True Shimmer balms offer the same moisturizing benefits of a lip balm but with the added bonus of subtle shimmer. So far there are two available flavors,Tropical and Botanical Berry, but two additional flavors, Peppermint Rush and Blended Fruit Sherbet, will be released later this Summer.

After using the True Shimmers for a few weeks now, I can say that they definitely lived up to my expectations and beyond. The moisturizing and lip protection that the balm provides is unquestionable and definitely what one would expect from a ChapStick product. However, the new, sexy shimmer is amazing! It is subtle, but not too subtle. I was a little apprehensive that the shimmer would be so light that it would hardly matter at all, but I was incorrect. It is definitely noticeable, visible and very flattering without being overtly obvious. In short, this is the perfect Summer makeup product to give you that fast, easy, on-the-go, no-fuss-but-still-a-little-glam look.

This product would be absolutely perfect for a low maintenance gal to spiff up the routine without a major time and money investment. Or, it works for those high maintenance gals who want to keep their lips soft but not let them go completely unadorned. It is all around a great product for everyone and I can't recommend it highly enough. One use that I have enjoyed is applying it over a lip stain to provide a little dimension since stains tend to dry matte. Especially for when you want to use a lip stain but don't want to be overly-glossed, this is an excellent middle ground.

That being said, I feel obligated to point out a few minor issues. My main problem is the lack of SPF. For any product intended or expected to be used outside (which seems likely for the ChapStick True Shimmers), it seems reasonable to anticipate it would have at least some SPF. So that's one thing. Secondly, ChapStick does contain ingredients that some people may find objectionable, namely, petrolatum, methylparaben and propylparaben. Parabens don't bother me much, especially these two because you are likely eating them in food anyway (they are widely used food preservatives); but I feel that I should mention it for readers who are opposed.

But in sum, the ChapStick True Shimmers are real winners! And because I'm feeling excited and want to share, how about we have a little giveaway? Fill in the form below with your name, email (not published) and your favorite Summer makeup product for a chance to win one of two not-yet-released flavors of ChapStick: Blended Fruit Sherbet or Peppermint Rush. The contest ends Friday, June 10 at noon EST and is open to residents of the U.S. and Canada. But even if you don't win, pick up a True Shimmer of your choice at most drugstores and mass retailers everywhere. With a price of less than $3, it might be worthwhile pick up a few!

 

4 comments:

Shannon said...

I love balms, and shimmery balms especially, but I'm trying to cut out parabens. These do look like they would otherwise they would be my dream product.

July 2, 2009 at 3:01 PM
Khymm said...

wow this is nice! I love Chapsticks mint lipbalm but switched to Carmex coz it gives me a more tingly feel and moisturises my lips.

July 2, 2009 at 7:08 PM
Kyl said...

Hi Shannon:
Yeah, that paraben thing is a personal decision. Chapstick does have a paraben-free product, but I don't think it is shimmery, though. Maybe someday!
July 4, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Kyl said...

Hi there Khymm,

No doubt, Carmex is awesome! I always use it when I start to get a cold sore and it stops it cold -- it's amazing!
July 4, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels

Archives