Skin Care Week: DHC Deep Cleansing Oil

Deep Cleansing Oil ($25) from Japanese skincare company DHC has a cult following that is one of the most loyal groups of people ever to rave about products on the internet. Any time this product is so much as whispered, these ladies (and guys) pop out of the woodwork to proclaim their love of the Deep Cleansing Oil and what it has done for their oily, dry, combination, aging, sensitive or acne-prone skin. The fact that so many different skin textures are helped by this product is pretty impressive just in and of itself, let alone the breathless exuberance with which it is described.

I can't recall where it came from, but I first used this product as a sample packet (regular DHC customers will be familiar with their generous sample program). The idea of putting an oil -- and yes, it is actually oil -- on one's face is just a tad off-putting. Don't we spend time trying to get oil off our faces? However, a principle that I learned back in college chemistry seemed applicable: like dissolves like. It suddenly made perfect sense that if I'm trying to get oil and grease off my face, then why not use a substance that is more adept at breaking it down than water?

It turns out that I wasn't far off base with my chemistry as the DHC Deep Cleansing Oil does an amazing job at removing any trace of makeup (including eye makeup and mascara), excess oil and any other grime that collects over the course of the day. It is gentle enough to use on the eyes without any burning or stinging and the sensation of rubbing oil on the face I find to be strangely pleasant and relaxing. I've even stopped using a separate eye makeup remover since it generally isn't necessary after the Cleansing Oil except with some tougher waterproof products. Once the oily dirt is dissolved, the Cleansing Oil performs its final trick, which is rinsing clean with water alone. Don't ask me how the chemistry of this works, but this oil has a water-soluble formula to rinse completely off on contact with the H2O. No greasy residue and no traces of makeup. It's pretty incredible.

Not only does it clean effectively, its oily structure means that it also doesn't deplete the skin of needed hydration. It also contains some olive oil and vitamin E for good measure. The cleansing process can be stopped there or followed up by a gentle cleanser to be extra squeaky clean before applying nighttime moisturizer and/or eye cream.

If it isn't already clear, I have effectively joined the cult of the DHC Cleansing Oil. I've been using this for a few months now and I just love it. Like I mentioned, I really love the process of using it and now that the weather has been sufficiently hot that I sweat all day long, this stuff has been amazing to restore my face to a cleaner steady state. (Did I just make a chemistry reference? Oh my god).

DHC has hundreds (probably thousands) of skin care products and the Deep Cleansing Oil is included in many of their special sets. They aren't sold in stores here and so have to be ordered online; although if you are only interested in the Deep Cleansing Oil, that can be ordered on amazon.com. If nothing else, try to get your paws on a sample pack to try. So many legions of fans must be on to something...

 

4 comments:

SweetFurr said...

Thanks for introducing DHC. I just requested some samples and catalogue ;)

July 28, 2009 at 12:21 PM
Kyl said...

Hi there!
Thanks for the comment and I hope you enjoy the samples. Let me know what you think!
July 28, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Misti said...

You have convinced me!! I'm off for samples...

July 29, 2009 at 1:09 PM
Kyl said...

Hi Misti:

Awesome! Let me know what you like!
July 30, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels

Archives