Bare Escentuals Lip Gloss Duo

My love of the QVC is not a secret to... well... anyone, really. It drives my husband crazy ("It's like you are watching a commercial!") which either adds to or subtracts from its appeal depending on my mood. I justify the occasional viewing because, due to my amazing self control (*insert snicker here*), I never actually purchase anything.

That was true until a particularly lonely Friday night a few weeks ago when I was tempted by the Bare Escentuals Lip Gloss Duo ($21) in Iced Coffee and Wild Honey. Not only are the colors the perfect, perfect neutrals but the price was actually reasonable even with the S&H -- it ends up being around $25 total or $12.50 each which is a few bucks cheaper than the store price of $15 each. So, these two beauties are now in my possession and I am completely in love.

They are great for so many reasons. One, I am always a sucker for cute packaging and this is no exception; the little black top is just too chic. That being said, there is a lot of excess plastic and I do think that the tube is bigger than it needs to be to hold the 0.14 oz of gloss. As I like to carry around 5-6 lip products at any given time, space is at a premium in my purse and I'd prefer it if they kept the same overall design but shrunk the tube size by 30% or so.

But, beyond that, I love the texture, the colors, the scent and the applicator. Is there anything else? The texture is mostly silky but just sticky enough to have some staying power on the lips. The staying power isn't anything beyond the ordinary, which I've come to accept in gloss products, but it is perfectly adequate. The gloss is medium-to-high shine and the colors are very sheer and slightly pearlescent. Here is a swatch with Wild Honey on the left and Iced Coffee on the right:

On initial inspection, I feared that the Iced Coffee would be too brown but it actually turns out to be very sheer and makes for a beautiful nude lip. The Wild Honey is more pink and is sheer enough that it will probably read clear on highly pigmented lips. The vanilla scent reminds me of cupcakes -- delicious! That being said, it is noticeable so if you are particularly against fragrance this might not be the gloss for you. Lastly, I love the brush applicator. It picks up more gloss than the standard doe foot sponge, which I appreciate, and the bristles are short enough to ensure accurate application. Plus, it's just more fun to use than a little sponge tip in my opinion.

Since getting these in the mail I cannot stop re-applying and I fall in love again every time I do. It has been a long time since I tried a BE lip product, but I'm glad that I did and I'm glad the QVC did not disappoint. Most of their offerings are not particularly good deals, which is why I can usually resist, but this one happens to be a good price for an excellent product. Double score! To be clear, though, if I start ordering hair, someone needs to stop me.

 

2 comments:

Lavinia said...

The bottles look adorable indeed, but I would like a more pinkish color.

August 11, 2009 at 2:56 AM
Kyl said...

Hi Lavinia:

Definitely check them out, though, next time you are at your favorite beauty store or on qvc.com. QVC has another duo for sale in sugar plum/cupcake that are definitely more pink and berry colored and likely to be to your liking!
August 13, 2009 at 11:15 PM

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels