Embrace Your Inner Goth: Dramatic Lips for Fall

Rachel Roy - Presentation - Fall 09 MBFWThe currently running NY Fashion Week is showing fashions for Spring 2010. To figure out what the trends and styles are for Fall 2009, we have to rewind back to 2009 Fall NY Fashion Week that occurred last February. One of the most dramatic looks of that season came from designer Rachel Roy. To complement her streamlined and minimalist clothes, she chose a look that was soft around the eyes with hair-raising, dramatic lips (created by none other than Queen of Neutrals Bobbi Brown).

Although this look may be too extreme for daily wear, some variant of a dramatic lip will definitely be popping up on fashionable kissers this Fall. Last year, the YSL Pur Black Gloss was the forerunner of this trend, but now it seems that other cosmetics companies are on the wagon as well. There are some gorgeous Urban Decay lipstick shades that are quite dark and dramatic and would fit the bill perfectly. For example, check out Apocalypse ($22), a deep, creamy blackberry shade that ends up being quite wearable thanks to its sheer nature. Even more drama can be achieved by Confession, a more pigmented and semi-sheer deep burgundy.

The other brand that comes to mind when thinking of re-creating Rachel Roy's stunning look is the soon-to-be released MAC Style Black Collection (set to release 9/24). Peeps are already going crazy for this collection. Seriously, check this out:

Of particular interest to the dark lip trend is this variety of lip shades in several formulations (Lipstick, sheer Mattene and high-gloss Glimmerglass):

  • Black Knight Lipstick ($14) -- creamy true black
  • Midnight Media Mattene ($15) -- dense matte black
  • Night Violet Mattene ($15) -- deep purple grape
  • Bling Black Glimmerglass ($18) -- sheer black with gold pearl
  • Blackfire Glimmerglass ($18) -- sheer black with pink purple pearl
  • Blackware Glimmerglass ($18) -- creamy true black

  • This dark lip trend reminds me of my later high school days, when my go-to lip color was a dusky, near-black purple (WetnWild, I believe). It really wasn't the world's most flattering choice (Mom hated it quite a bit), but I loved it all the same. These days, I know better than to put a near-black on my thin, already-puny lips, but I think a sheer burgundy or deep magenta might just satisfy this Fall trend.

     

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    About Me

    Kyl
    To learn more about me visit my profile page!

    Contact Me

    Contact me through my form here.

    If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

    Labels