Party Face Of The Day (FOTD) featuring NYX Jumbo Lip Pencil

One of the most fun preparations for my party was creating a hostess-worthy makeup look. For this look, I was inspired by the vibrant red in my dress (a J Crew dress I got at Buff Exchange for $20 -- score!) and the fantasy ideal of a perfectly put together mid-century hostess à la Betty Draper (i.e. this version, not this one).

As a side note, have you seen MadMenYourself? This is the one I created with a hairstyle that I love but would have no chance of ever being able to do. I think it would involve a hair piece and I'm sure I would have no idea what to do with it even if I even had one. Anyway, you should try it because it is mad fun and an excellent way to waste time.

At any rate, back to the FOTD. In the pre-party pics, my skin was a sweaty, shiny mess from all the frantic running around. So, this morning I got up and re-created the look for The Beauty Couch readers.

Here is the final result:

The star of this look is definitely the red lippie, a relatively new acquisition. It is a Jumbo Lipstick Pencil in Hot Red ($4) from NYX Cosmetics. I decided to try a NYX red after reading this blog post on the preferred reds of a gorgeous vintage gal. With a price so cheap, who could resist? Although I'm not the connoisseur of red lipstick, I think that this one is quite good in terms of color saturation and pigment. The name "Hot Red" was a bit intimidating at first and I worried that it would be too dark, but it turns out to be a lovely shade and just perfect for this vintage-inspired look. The fatness of the Jumbo Lip Pencil creates a smudgy line, so I would definitely recommend using a nude lip liner to get this one right. The finish isn't complete matte, but a semi-gloss which I think is preferable on thin lips.

Here is the complete run down of the look...

Anyway, the blush doesn't show up very well in the photo, but it is there. It is important to remember at least a little blush when wearing a dramatic red lip because otherwise you will look completely washed out. I also chose to keep the look kind of soft by leaving my eye brows fairly natural and not severely penciling them in, although you could certainly do that for a more dramatic, Dita-like effect. All in all, I was quite happy with the result and I think that the look reflects my inspirations the way I imagined. It certainly helped me get into the party mood although I had to wait until after the liquid eye liner before having my first glass of Prosecco. Sacrifices, sacrifices...

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels