L'Oreal Telescopic Explosion Mascara

L'Oreal Paris is set to release yet another exciting mascara in November. L'Oreal Telescopic Explosion Mascara (suggested retail price of $10) is the first mass-market mascara to use a new spherical, Flexi-Globe brush (Givenchy Phenomen' Eyes was released last year at a significantly higher price point of $28) allowing you to maneuver it this way and that, thereby reaching every last little lash. The goal is big, long, perfectly separated and fanned-out lashes.

I had the opportunity to try out this fascinating product prior to its release next month and my initial impressions are fairly mixed on the whole affair. Pulling the wand out of the tube for the first time, it is a bit shocking to be confronted with what appears to be a miniature medieval weapon. The first thought is, I wonder how this is going to work?

Using the wand took some practice and adjustment of the usual mascara application technique. About half the size of a traditional wand, Telescopic Explosion is much more limited in the span of lashes covered with any one swipe. This requires attention to be paid to every part of the lash line -- outside, middle and inside corner -- individually. This is tricky because it is easy to re-coat lashes already covered, leading to a thick application and clumping. It also takes more time to apply than other mascaras as a result of trying to get every lash individually coated and separated.

At the end of all that, what kind of results did I get? I will say, I was impressed with the length that was able to be achieved with Telescopic Explosion. And, with good application, the separation and definition of the individual lashes was pretty good. Here are some pics.

Pre Telescopic Explosion

Post Telescopic Explosion

Hopefully you can see that the length extension is pretty dramatic, creating some very long, spidery lashes. Unfortunately, overall I found that the problems with over-application leading to major clumping to be a real turn-off. It took more time to apply, which is never a good property for a daily use product like mascara. I think that I would save this one for a special night out where I had a bit more time to mess around with the wand. I don't think that the wand concept in and of itself is a bad idea, it's just that when it's not what you are used to, it can lead to a rocky start. Also, I should add that I don't think the formula is at fault for the clumping problems I experienced, but rather it was due to getting too much product on the lashes as a result of the wand. The formula itself was rather nice and I didn't experience any flaking or smudging at all.

L'Oreal Paris Telescopic Explosion Mascara is available November 2009 at www.lorealparis.com and chaind rug, food and mask market retailers nationwide.

 

2 comments:

Marilyn M. Tycer said...

I also got to try this product out! I agree that the wand doesn't cover enough lashes, and it takes longer to apply this mascara. I do like the length that it gave me, and that it's cheaper than my current favorite mascara (Clinique High Impact) but I hate how much it clumps (there was also a tiny bit of smudging and flaking). Even when I wiped down the wand before applying to remove the excess mascara, it still clumped. I might try the L'Oreal Telescopic original mascara instead, since it has a regular brush.

October 4, 2009 at 3:53 PM
Kyl said...

Oooh. I *love* Clinique High Impact -- definitely good stuff and hard to find a cheaper replacement. I haven't tried the L'Oreal Telescopic original, but I'm interested. Just stay away from Panoramic Curl because that stuff sucks!

Thanks for the comment!
October 4, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels