Look For Less: Kate Hudson

67th Annual Golden Globe Awards - Arrivals
I can't even remember what I did last night, but it sure wasn't watching the 2010 Golden Globes. For all of my love of the fashion-y and frivolous, I can't tolerate watching award shows. Thankfully, the internet catches me up on what I missed in terms of the clothes and beauty trends.

The clothes, as far as I can tell, were an absolute disaster on many fronts. All modern starlets uniformly play it safe with "classic" and "Old Hollywood" looks. Where are the crazy Cher, Bjork and Sharon Stone gowns of the 90's?  Those looks may have been over the top, but those women weren't afraid to go for it and I respect that. These days, everyone looks the same and, this year, particularly bad. The only winners in my book were Rose Byrne in the absolutely gorgeous plum Lanvin and Zoe Saldana in the mess of a Louis Vuitton which somehow works for her.

Anyway, I'm usually pretty "whatever" when it comes to Kate Hudson, but she had something interesting going on with her makeup last night. The look was pretty basic and a fair representation of her usual California-girl vibe, but with a twist in the eyeliner department.  To re-create Kate's look, follow these steps:

1. Sweep a pale shimmery shadow over the entire eye area -- lash line to brow bone. Build the color intensity near the lash line on the half of the eye nearest the nose, but otherwise keep it sheer.  Use a wallet-friendly shade like Cover Girl Eye Enhances in Snow Blossom ($3).


2. Using a well-sharpened black eye liner pencil or a fine liquid eye liner brush, draw a thin line along the upper lash line extending it down ever-so-slightly by the tear duct. Draw a matching line on the lower lash line, extending the it to meet the upper on the side of the nose. A pencil with a fine point will make this a lot easier. Try Cover Girl Exact Eyelights in Vibrant Pearl.

3. Take a short, stiff angled brush and dust a thin layer of the white eye shadow under the eye, smudging the black eye liner just a little. Apply false eyelashes.

4. Apply foundation, concealer and powder as usual.  Brush the eye brows into a natural shape, fill in spare areas, but keep extensive grooming to a minimum.  Set with brow gel.


5. If you don't have Kate's California glow, a quick dusting of your favorite bronzer is in order, especially on the forehead, under the chin, and just a little in the hollows of the cheeks to contour.  I like Maybelline Expert Wear Bronzer ($5). Finish the cheeks with a pop of pink blush right on the apples, like Physicians Formula Mineral Blush in Pink Glow ($10).

6. My eyes might be tricking me, but we may be seeing resurgence of frosted lipsticks in the near future. The 80's are apparently back in every other way, so it isn't that surprising.  Finish the Kate-inspired look with a swipe of a neutral pink lipstick with a frosted finish. Try Maybelline Moisture Extreme Lipcolor in Mocha Ice ($5).


And there you have it! I kind of love this look, it's a little funky, a little fun and very pretty.  Kate also had some very pretty nails last night, check out this post to find out what she used.

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels