Review: Lifted Natural Eye Primer from Tarte


Released as part of the Fall 2009 collection, Lifted Natural Eye Primer with Firmitol™ ($20) is a prep and prime product for the eye area.  Similar to Urban Decay's Primer Potion or Too Faced Shadow Insurance, Lifted smooths the eyelid, intensifies eye shadow pigments and locks the shadow in place for a long-lasting wear. Lifted additionally contains tarte's proprietary complex Firmitol which reportedly acts to tighten eyelids and the skin on the surrounding area. However, unlike other products, Lifted does not contain things like parabens, petro-chemicals, talc and pthalates. It also boasts some innovative, environmentally friendly packaging infused with EcoPure -- a non toxic resin-additive that allows plastics to completely biodegrade once placed in a landfill.

Although not really in the market for a new eye primer, I have been completely swept away by the awesomeness of Lifted. On initial use, it has the same, silky silicone feel as other eyelid primers, gliding on and blending easily. It is colorless but effectively cancels out any redness, yellowness or blueness that may be showing through the thin eyelid skin.  As I've gotten older, I've noticed that my eyelids look pinkish in the morning no matter how much rest I get; however, after a quick swipe with Lifted, that is corrected and I look a whole bunch more awake. In fact, on lazy days, I will wear Lifted alone without layering any shadow over top. But, if I do choose to layer shadow over top the Lifted, it performs very well as an eye shadow primer, showcasing the color, eliminating creasing and lasting all day. 

Another good use is to apply some Lifted to the under-eye area. Similar to the way in which it keeps eyeshadow locked in place all day long, it also helps under-eye concealer stay put. This is a good little trick because concealer is one of those things that I reapply all day long. With Lifted, re-application is minimized to once per day.

The EcoPure packaging is a mixed bag. I love the fact that it biodegrades and I hope that more companies consider minimizing packaging waste in the future. However, the material is weak and easily breaks. The cap on my tube of Lifted broke after the second week and then just steadily fell apart. Now my Lifted consists of the tube (which is fully intact) and the wand. This works, but it isn't air tight the way it would be if it had a working screw cap.  As long as we're on the subject of packaging, I would much prefer a squeeze tube to the wand anyway, but that is a minor complaint.

Overall, I'm very happy with my new friend, Lifted. It is definitely more expensive per unit volume compared to UDPP or Shadow Insurance so that is one draw-back. But, I actually prefer it to UDPP because I think that it applies in a thinner layer and can be worn without shadow over top. With UDPP, the eye area looks pasty and weird alone. Plus, if you are seriously looking for an eye prep that does not contain some of those problematic compounds, then the extra money is worth it. Pick up a tube for yourself at tarte.com, Sephora, beauty.com, Henri Bendel and boutiques nationwide.


 

2 comments:

Katherine said...

I also have the Tarte natural eye primer, and I really like it. It's a great product and it keeps my eyeshadow looking fabulous. I haven't tried it in the under eye area, but I'll have to do that! Thanks for the tip.

I think more cosmetic companies should use biodegradable packaging, or have a recycling program with rewards like MAC's.

January 17, 2010 at 9:35 PM
Kyl said...

Hey Katherine:
I totally agree on the packaging. A really simple thing they could do would be to stop double packaging things in an extra box. That would save so much paper and ink! It might be slightly less glamorous, but I'm really ok with that.
January 18, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Post a Comment

About Me

Kyl
To learn more about me visit my profile page!

Contact Me

Contact me through my form here.

If you represent a cosmetic or skincare product(s) that I might be interested in, please contact me and I'll tell you where to send samples. Please note I will only write about products that I can honestly say something nice about.

Labels